Skip to main content

Sunday's child...

I may not have a fair face, but I am a Sunday child. 

Forty-something years ago, on a wee hours of a Sunday, my mother had a 10-pounder.  I was born from an unfortunate situation of my parents who were in dire need to uproot themselves from the very place they called home since their childhood.

Most of my siblings were born and grew up in the same hometown.  So growing up in a very different environ caused havoc to some of my older siblings --- who are unable to see the tin line between leaving and living. 

On the other hand, I did not realize the difference between us and them (my older siblings) even they kept teasing me and the other two younger siblings "Moros". 

I remembered how I was schooled by my older siblings about the sun, the moon, the stars...and why the sky is way up high.  I've learned how greed can cause you hunger and misery from the story of the monkey and the turtle.  I even learned the eye-flipping story of the pineapple.

Everything changed when all of us were in school and oh, when my father had to die soon.  I do not know if school made my older siblings' heads crazy or they just liked school too much that some of them messed-up with it. 


BUT,  I am thankful I have all of them to look up to as reference to where I can and cannot set my foot onto.  What I am and where I am now, I owe it to my mother and to them (somehow...). 


Like Pina, the girl in the pineapple story, I opened my eyes and saw all the possibilities and opportunities in front of me.  I treaded all the hardships, succumb to it and learned from it. 


I am not that little girl anymore, who spent all day long dancing around that humungous school bell just to get away from my first grade teacher.  Now I can buy a pineapple in any form!
G.


"Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace, 
Wednesday's child is full of woe, 
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving, 
Saturday's child works hard for a living, 
But a child that is born on the Sabbath day
Is blithe and bonny, good and gay."





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I won't remember you....

I won’t remember you.  I never remember anything that hurts me.   Harsh huh!     Acknowledging the pain and feeling it is one way but the easiest way there is when you have pain is to suck it up and forget about it.   I did that.   Done that.   I learned to be cynical and stoical.   I never remember anything that hurts me.   When my father died, I only cried the day he was laid to rest.   I cried hard in 2013 when I left my mother in a hospital bed without all her senses and memories…and the day she died.   Crying helps.   Instead of avoiding our feelings, we can simply feel them and forget about it.   However, when events and circumstances overwhelm one to the point where they are an emotional wreck --- there’s always a medicine for it!   So, Mrs. M got her dose.   She passed away.   It was sad.   She was a happy soul.   Someone just hurt me.   I won’t remember you.   I never remember anything that hurts me . G.

behind that closed door....

When you have a competent desk Executive Assistant you’re sure to end up with a glory day! Liz is efficient. Ask her to do anything and she will do it in an instant, well, of course sometimes she forgets especially when her laughing buddy is beside her! She works quietly. You won’t even notice her leave the building unless she says her goodbyes! Ahh like her FA! LOL! Sneaky. She is behind this closed door. This door used to be wide open years ago, and it just changed recently, for some stupid reason. Anyhow, open or closed door you can still hear her giggling or I can still disturb her with just a press of “transfer 10” in the phone in from my Station. She is the “MAN” (as Paul often says) when it comes to translating for my Hispanic patients. I always ridicule her for getting a more paying job as translator, @#$% some people who knew how to use the language line are just too lazy they would always call her to translate. Geez. I am one of them. As she passed by my Stat

bring it...

Finally!  Missy's calcium level is within normal range.  But my Dietician is in limbo with her algorithm --- either to discontinue or go on with her oral Calcitriol dosage knowing our Missy has a hungry bone syndrome. Hungry Bone Syndrome (HBS) is a prolonged hypocalcemia associated with hypophosphataemia and is exacerbated by suppressed parathyroid hormone levels, which follows parathyroidectomy in patients with severe primary hyperparathyroidism.  Also, in Missy's case, she already developed a bone disease preoperatively. Missy had two hip replacements, and she may be in her wheelchair but it doesn't stop her from taking the steering wheel and drive herself to treatments with her Dad. Bring it girl! I watch the Lifetime series Bring It and The Rap Game every Friday, which I discuss with Missy as she watches the series too.  I tried to watch whatever my patients are into, that is how I build my rapport with them.  My partner RN discusses the Game of