Skip to main content

wanted: hero for life....

A kidney transplant is a surgery to place a healthy kidney from a donor into your body. A donor is a person who has just died or a living person, most often a family member. A kidney from someone who has just died is a deceased donor kidney. A kidney from a living person is a living donor kidney (NIDDK, 2017).
Mr. S was one of our transplant patient in 2017. Kudos to him whose surgery really came in as a surprise.

I've known Mr. S since I transferred to this Clinic. Never was a day in his dialysis treatment that he had no complaint --- be it with his treatment, with his Technician, with my Manager, with his blood works, or even with the floor of the Clinic!

Argh! These rich-bitchy patients sometimes will get into your nerves, but hey you cannot discount it from him because he is generous sometimes and well, he used it to his advantage! Rumor was, he bought his kidney or he brought in a donor from his foreign country. Rumor or not, I am happy for Mr. S and best, I am happy for me! Done were the days I had to explain to him why his potassium is up or why can't I run his blood flow to more than 450 or why can't I pull out 4 kilos in his two-hour stay.  

"I did run your treatment last time to 4 kg and you can't hardly get up from your chair because you were tired" I told him one time; who wouldn't get tired with that fast fluid pull from your system? Your heart will be racing with how fast the blood will get berserk in your system! There was even a time when his blood pressure was super low and he was dizzy, instructed him to rest first and I will check him in 10 minutes; nahhhh he did not listen, stood up, wobbled to the weighing scale! Good he was pretty thin for his tall stature, I easily grabbed him and placed him in the first chair I reached.

Anyhow, I am happy. Oh the day after his surgery he called me in the Clinic to thank us for everything.  He said he will come visit us. I told him to recuperate first, that he cannot be out in the crowd until the doctors will give him a clearance.

It's been two months. I hope Mr. S is doing well and doing his best.  We have transplant patients before that came back to the Clinic to thank us, there is even this one guy who cannot get over the attachment he has with his "former mates" in the Clinic that he still frequents the Clinic just to say "hi" to all of them.

Last Christmas,
I gave you my heart,
but the very next day
your body rejected
the transplant
and you died.

G.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I won't remember you....

I won’t remember you.  I never remember anything that hurts me.   Harsh huh!     Acknowledging the pain and feeling it is one way but the easiest way there is when you have pain is to suck it up and forget about it.   I did that.   Done that.   I learned to be cynical and stoical.   I never remember anything that hurts me.   When my father died, I only cried the day he was laid to rest.   I cried hard in 2013 when I left my mother in a hospital bed without all her senses and memories…and the day she died.   Crying helps.   Instead of avoiding our feelings, we can simply feel them and forget about it.   However, when events and circumstances overwhelm one to the point where they are an emotional wreck --- there’s always a medicine for it!   So, Mrs. M got her dose.   She passed away.   It was sad.   She was a happy soul.   Someone just hurt me.   I won’t remember you.   I never remember anything that hurts me . G.

nothing is more...

Nothing is more.... needless to say, it is. There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you. I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. So try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud. Maya Angelou G

Dialysis: damned if you do. dead if you don't!!!

  Pat is screaming “cramps! cramps! cramps!” Then the machine just went ballistic and gaga with all its might --- beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep… it didn’t stop until I got my butt off my freakin’ throne in the station. I tried to troubleshoot the machine at the same time alleviating pat’s pain. Muscle cramps are a common complication of hemodialysis treatments.   Patients may have it in their hands, calf, legs, toes but the worst is in the stomach.   It’s hard to help patient when they have stomach cramps as you cannot relieved it by shaking or massaging their tummies, funny. The machine didn’t stop beeping and the patient continued complaining. The machine is complaining now--- its chambers are clotting! Arghhhhh. When Pat moved her arm moved and so the fistula rolled. Restarted her treatment with new lines and stuck her again with new needles. I know that’s double jeopardy huh but we have to do what we needed to survive. Cr